Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Going Natural....Maybe?

So I went to church yesterday and in the middle of the last speaker, I had a really sharp pain in my pelvic area, enough that it made me get up to make sure my water hadn't come splashing out.....That would have been funny to witness.

Anyways, I checked and I was fine. However, I was talking to someone later and she asked how I was doing. I told her how I had progressed and how I was just waiting. And then I said that I just felt tired. She reminded me to take comfort in the Savior and just "hold on". I spoke with my MIL the other day and she mentioned how with her daughters she had all natural births. Ron just so happened to be her emergency c-section. Subsequently, with her daughters giving birth, almost all of them had an epidural. She commented on how they were able to relax during the contractions and because of that, they were able to have faster labor.

So.....I was thinking....maybe I don't want to do this all natural thing. Maybe pain meds. are okay. I like having options for sure, and I have broken two bones and not had pain killers until after the surgery, so I know a little bit of what pain is. But after having some nights where I am for sure feeling back labor, and then I am able to go to sleep, I realize I am tired and if I am already tired going into labor, WHY ON EARTH would I not ask for relief?

Good food for thought.

Is it really all that better to do a completely natural birth? Because as I see it, it is almost a pride issue saying you went all natural and the woman next to you who had an epidural was some how WEAK!

Thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I don't know you, but I found your blog through your comment on MMM's blog. I just wanted to let you know that, for me, natural birth was so worth it. It was definitely not a pride issue, and I didn't do it just to say "look what I can do!" I chose it because of the problems that came about from having an epidural with my first birth. It was great at first, of course, but when it came time to push, I couldn't feel what I was doing. The baby had turned wrong-side up as well, since I had been laying on my back for about 10 hours, having no other option because of the paralyzing effect of the epidural. So the baby being in the wrong position, and me not being able to tell how to push, meant that I ended up "purple pushing" (holding my breath and pushing to ten) which made the baby have "late decelerations" (his heart beat decreased after each contraction/push) and they had to do a forceps delivery. The forceps delivery resulted in a 2nd degree perineal tear for me, and major pelvic pain that has not gone away since (I may have had both of these things happen with a regular birth, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have been as severe in either case based on what I've read since then)... as well as severe incontinence for a few weeks afterwards. With my 2nd birth, I went natural and was able to tell exactly how to push (I was also in a tub with warm water and could position myself however was most comfortable) and it all went so smoothly compared to my first experience. (Sorry this is turning into a novel, by the way!) I also did Hypnobabies, though, which helps a lot with the relaxation issue you mentioned. If you keep your body as relaxed as possible, your labor shouldn't be affected by your lack of epidural. In fact, epidurals can slow labor down as well. So, I could go on and on forever about it but it's definitely worth considering going natural, and if you end up getting an epidural then that's just fine as well! Just be educated about your decisions and the pros and cons, and you'll be fine. And sorry to just come crash your blog with my long comment.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand leaving a "novel". That is usually how I feel. Can you remind me of who MMM is? I am racking my brain to remember where I commented. I am glad you found our blog and I completely understand what you mean about the epidural. I am really lucky to have a great midwife who is very encouraging of natural as long as labor and delivery are staying normal and healthy. So, we shall see. I am at a four right now and pretty much could go at any time. We are really excited too.

      P.s. I love your birth story with your little man. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    2. Oops, MMM = Middle-Aged Mormon Man, haha. Sorry about that! How exciting that you are going to have your little one soon! Sending good vibes (and prayers) your way for a safe and smooth delivery. :)

      Delete
  2. And oh my gosh, I just realized you are married to a guy I worked with at BPI. Hahaha. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Hey Alisa! I totally remember you! How are you? Ps You have the same name as my Sister and I think about a year ago Hannah called you on accident because you were in my phone. lol

      Delete
    2. Hey! Doing great - really, really glad to not be working at BPI anymore... hahaha. We have two little ones now and things are going great, Jared is working for Bluehost in Orem. Congrats on the upcoming birth of your first baby - so exciting!

      Delete
  3. For me I planned on natural for both of mine and then with both I just stopped progressing until I had the epidural. I would get an epidural and within an hour was pushing and giving birth. I had heard of lots of nasty side effects form them, but I was lucky and with both of mine I could still feel to push and didn't have any scary side effects. For me it seems that it helps my body relax fully to finish doing it's job. I felt like I had failed with my first birth, but then realized that every woman's body is different and needs different things, so definitely more power to you if you are able to go naturally, but it's ok to have an epidural as well if it's what you feel is right, definitely keep the Lord in on your decisions and everything will be ok :) P.S. I'm so excited for you and hope everything goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meagan, I didn't even know you knew about my blog. I went back to yours and I was like, I TOTALLY KNOW HER! How are you?! Are you still at OIT? I would love to hear an update. You can email me at homeagainhannah@gmail.com. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete